Tips to study abroad
Written by ESC on 24 Jan 2017 Posted in Blog
Studying abroad can be a fun and safe experience but it is important to realize that you are subject to the laws and customs of another country.
Studying abroad can do so many things for an individual. On the personal side, students are able to experience new cultures, religions and new ways of thinking thus enhancing their acceptance and tolerance of minorities and their outlook on life. On a professional level, it can enhance their career by exposing students to a variety of new perspectives, the latest technology or state of the art research and training. There are so many benefits to studying abroad, and arguably the most important benefit is to create a better understanding of the world around us.
- Make sure you have a signed, valid passport and visas, if required. Also, before you go, fill in the emergency information page of your passport!
- Read the Consular Information Sheets (and Public Announcements or Travel Warnings, if applicable) for the countries you plan to visit.
- Leave copies of your itinerary, passport data page and visas with family or friends at home, so that you can be contacted in case of an emergency. Keep your host program informed of your whereabouts
- Make sure you have insurance that will cover your emergency medical needs (including medical evacuation) while you are overseas.
- Familiarize yourself with local laws and customs of the countries to which you are traveling. Remember, while in a foreign country, you are subject to its laws!
- Do not leave your luggage unattended in public areas and never accept packages from strangers.
- While abroad, avoid using illicit drugs or drinking excessive amounts of alcoholic beverages, and associating with people who do.
- Do not become a target for thieves by wearing conspicuous clothing and expensive jewelry and do not carry excessive amounts of cash or unnecessary credit cards.
- Deal only with authorized agents when you exchange money to avoid violating local laws. When overseas, avoid demonstrations and other situations that may become unruly or where anti-American sentiments may be expressed
Reason to Study Abroad
The biggest reason you should consider a study abroad program is the opportunity to see the world . By studying abroad, you will experience a brand-new country with incredible new outlooks, customs and activities. The benefits of studying abroad include the opportunity to see new terrains, natural wonders, museums and landmarks of your host nation.
In addition, when you’re abroad, you won’t be limited to traveling in just the nation in which you are studying – you can see neighboring countries as well! For example, if you study in France, you’ll have the option to travel through various parts of Europe including London , Barcelona , and Rome